Studio 11 is a spanking new London-based imprint which has launched with ‘Metronomic’, a two-track EP from label-founder Darko V. The title track kicks in with crunchy, percussive dub-techno and strong melodic elements; it’s an intricate, captivating production with a melancholic warmth to it. On the flip side is ‘The Devils in the Detail’ which has a dreamier, dub-ier sound and some sweet bubbling arpeggios; the kind of stuff that’s easy to get lost in.
Piek is a Spanish producer, DJ and vinyl collector. His latest release is out on Spanish label Sincopat. We asked him a few Qs.
Hola Piek, wow your new EP ‘Lost Treasures’ is going to pack a punch on the dancefloor! Have you been playing it out much? Which tracks have gone down well?
Thank you so much! To be honest I really didn’t have the chance to play it that much because I stopped doing gigs for a while, but other fellow dj’s told me all the tracks work very well on the dancefloor, specially Not Afraid.
Your last EP on Sincopat was a big success – what makes Piek and Sincopat such a successful combo?
Working with Sincopat is always a big pleasure. They pay extra attention to every detail (design, mastering, promotion etc) plus I’m a big fan of AFFKT’s music, so I guess all this makes me work with a higher motivation. On the other hand, I think it’s essential for the health of our scene that Spanish artists focus on releasing music on Spanish labels.
We love that you post your ‘Wax of the Week’ on your facebook page. What’s you ‘Wax of 2014′ so far?
Well, this is a very difficult question because the music released this year is amazing!! But I will go for C.P.I. ‘El Tunel / Proceso‘ released via Hivern Discs.
We see you also post a ‘Goodnight Track’ is that one to fall to sleep to?
Exactly! That was the idea when I started sharing “the goodnight track”. I love sharing music from artists I like with other people.
What does the rest of the year hold in store for you?
It looks truly amazing. I’m working on some beautiful projects making music for advertising and also finishing my debut album with the collaboration of some incredibly talented singers and musicians.
And finally, the one we ask everyone, what would you do as a techno kitten for the day?
I have to say there aren’t any record shops where I live, so I would love to spend a whole day digging and shopping vinyls at a record store.
Some exciting dates for your diaries…
SIMPLE THINGS FESTIVAL 2014 | GLASGOW | SATURDAY 01 NOVEMBER
Electronic music for the thinking man. A rare performance from the inimitable Autechre, dark hard techno from Actress and Clark and the eclectic sound of Nightmares on Wax. A forward-thinking event that celebrates innovation and diversity in a city that’s know for a barry night out. Expect lots of experimental stuff and to discover some new sounds. Taking place over 5 stages in 3 venues.
NYD 2015 | TOBACCO DOCK, LONDON | 01 JANUARY 2015
We spent last NYD partying at Tobacco Dock at what was its first club event. Roll on 10 months and it’s been London’s party venue of choice this year. So why not do it all over again for 2015! The party hosted by London Warehouse Events is going to feature a whole host of underground house and techno favourites. Art Department, Martinez Brothers, Visionquest, Guti LIVE, Subb-an and more all make up a party loving crew of artists who are going to make this one fun way to start your year. We’ll see you there.
GOTTWOOD 2015 | WALES | 11-14 JUNE 2015
Gottwood had one of the most thoughtful and well-selected electronic line-ups of this summer’s festivals and we heard nothing but good things. Plus the location looks stunning! Growing on it’s success, it’s back next June with the same crowd of underground party players hosting stages and some new names such as Craig Richard’s Nothing Special too. No DJs have been announced yet but that hasn’t stopped the first three Teirs of early-bird tickets selling out. Our advice – get in there now. It’s bound to be special. Check out the video below of last year’s festival if you need more convincing.
If you like techno buy this album. It’s the best mix album we’ve heard all year and we have been completely rinsing it here at TK HQ. We went to see Pan-Pot play LWE at iCan Studios in Hackney last Friday (amazing as always) and this mix is just like their sets; melodic, energetic, exciting and makes you dance yourself into a crazy sweat-drenched frenzy. It’s number 17 of Watergate’s mix series; the Berlin club where the duo are one of the signature acts. The track selection is superb and it’s packed with exclusives including new tracks from Pan-Pot themselves. The mix keeps the pace up from the beginning and is proper party techno the whole way through. There are loads of fist-pumping-the-air moments and big, big tracks that would more than do justice to any sound system. We will be playing this (especially at pre/after parties) for many years to come – classic mix right here. Pan-Pot we salute you; ain’t no one can do it quite like you.
out now | buy it here
WATERGATE 17 | PAN-POT complete tracklist
1. Pavel Petrov – “Adapt” (Traum Schallplatten)
2. Radio Slave – “Don’t Stop No Sleep” (Nonplus Records)
3. Marco Resmann – “Hello Again” (Watergate Records Exclusive Track)
4. Clint Stewart - “Drenched” (Watergate Records Exclusive Track)
5. Shall Ocin / Paneo – “Lurking Wolves” (Ellum Audio)
6. Whyt Noyze – “Shift” (Sci+Tec)
7. Mark Broom – “Nucleus” (Gynoid Audio)
8. Darlyn Vlys – “Floor 122″ (Santé + Sidney Charles Warehouse Dub) (AVOTRE)
9. Pan-Pot - “Substance” (Second State)
10. Alberto Pascual – “Doer” (CLR)
11. Dario Zenker – “27 Northwest” (Ilian Tape)
12. Maceo Plex – “Conjure Bass” (Ellum Audio)
13. Stephan Hinz – “Hungry” (Watergate Records Exclusive Track)
14. Skober – “Bring It To Me” (Phobiq Recordings)
15. Pan-Pot – “Grey Matter” (Second State)
16. Josh Wink – “Are You There” (Ben Klock Remix) (Ovum Recordings)
17. Martin Eyerer - “Reckless” (Watergate Records Exclusive Track)
18. Pan-Pot & Slam – “Conductor” (Watergate Records Exclusive Track)
19. Pan-Pot & Vincenzo – “Fiction Inc.” (Watergate Records Exclusive Track)
No set genres. Just good music.
That’s the vision of PMR’s brank spankin’ new sub label PMR Beat Club. Seeking to cherry pick fresh sounds from up and coming talent, the label is launching with a release from Polish producer Klaves, an artist that we fell in love with after a listen to one of his very early tracks ‘Hope It Gets To Love‘. With a fresh sound and oodles of talent, the 21 year old producer has turned a lot of heads and gained some much deserved attention over the past 12 months, and his latest release was even premiered by Annie Mac. ‘People’ is a jumpy, feel good house cut with a latin twist – we simply can’t get enough (stream below).
In case you needed reminding of the talent that PMR has signed in the past, it’s home to the likes of Disclosure, Jessie Ware and Julio Bashmore. Klaves will certainly be in good company – let’s see who else PMR picks to join its Beat Club!
Klaves ‘People / Oh No’ is released 12.10 (digital) & 27.10 (vinyl)
You want something fresh? Something new to delight your earbuds? Something to make you dance with your eyes closed in pure undulated delight? Then look no further than our lovingly compiled playlist of tracks we’re diggin’ this day. Press play and we’ll give you your money back if you don’t have at least one eargasm!
1. Pete Oak | Tranquila - an epic tune from Steyoyoke, the label that keep impressing | buy
2. Dylan Moran | Ourside - super dark and atmospheric | buy
3. Multiple Mono | When It Rains It Pours (Butane Remix) - stripped back, raw and tribal
4. Soulcheeba | Time To Fly - full of sounds that work together a real treat, lovely production
5. Seba Harper | Mandala - tight tech house with some buddhist quotage to inspire your soul
6. STAL | Gone (Aashton Remix) - irresistibly bouncy and upbeat
7. Claptone | 100.000 (Ladies & Gentlemen) - a party-tastic free-for-all from the man in the mask | free download
8. PARKX | You Are - an emotive track with a nice use of vocals | free download
9. Fernan Dust | What You’ve Got - funk-infused and packed with spacey sounds
10. Thom Yorke | Interference (Deepdrive Remix) - Thom Yorke taken deep, ooh er
11. Goldroom | Till Sunrise (Bear Tooth Remix) - let the soft euphoric warmth of this track take you on a little trip
12. Sebastian Russell | Silent Laugh - eery, pretty, twinkling sounds, sigh, so nice | free download
13. Submotion Orchestra | Trust/Lust - girly soul music laced with searing electronic beats
14. Speelburg | Aubrey - lurverly jazz influenced soulful sounds (ooh take us to bed right now!)
Earlier this year as part of the Convergence Series of events taking part across London town, Booka Shade performed live to a sell out crowd at Shoreditch’s Village Underground. We were lucky enough to nab ourselves a ticket and bopped out to their amazing performance, leaving in awe and marking it as one of the best performances we’ve been to (read the review here). Now the boys are back in London, but this time they’re going all out with a performance combining elements of their live show for their first club night appearance in 18 months at Electric Brixton on Friday 24th October.
The duo are one third of the brains behind one of our favourite labels Get Physical (having co-founded with M.A.N.D.Y and DJ T back in 2002) and have continued to demonstrate their ability to produce forward thinking electronic music with an impressive catalogue of albums and single releases including their most recent, critically acclaimed album, ‘Eve’. If you are a fan of their music then you can not miss this opportunity to catch them play live.
In case you needed convincing further, supporting them are Boris Brejcha, Krankbrother and the Entail Records family….
tickets are still on sale priced at £15 early bird / £20+ booking fee| get your tickets here
John Barera is a DJ, Producer and head honcho of Supply Records. He tends to favour an uplifting, lush and percussive house sound; as demonstrated in his superb track ‘Awake’ with Will Martin. His debut album (again with Will Martin), ‘Graceless’, is out soon on Steffi’s Dolly imprint. John is based in Boston in the US of A, so we thought we’d ask him to pick his top 5 tracks to come smack-bang-wallop out of the UK. This is what he picked:
S. Bicknell | Untitled B2
Floating Points | ARP3
Surgeon | Atol
Nu Klass A | The Rhythm (S Gurley Remix)
Soul Capsule | Lady Science (NYC Sunrise)
You can’t beat a piece of beautiful, melodic electronica; we could sit and listen to dreamy compositions for hours, losing ourselves in the floaty sounds and euphoric melodies. This track from Antenna Happy’s debut EP on Reinhardt Records is having exactly that exact effect. It’s oozing with warm happy sounds, soft beats and an uplifting melody that is just simply divine.
‘Pinto EP’ is out on Reinhardt Records 20th October (Digital) | get it here